Tasting the wines of California

Anyone can take grapes and ferment them into something resembling wine, but it takes a true artisan to make some that is truly great. The only way to really experience what California wine is all about is to experience the wineries themselves.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Falkner - Temecula

A bigger winery, with a very nice tasting room and restaurant etc. The last time I bought a bottle of Falkner I believe I called it "twelve buck chuck" although that might have been a LITTLE harsh...

We've never tasted there, so we decided to head there first. First off, it's expensive. $8 minimum, up to $16 for eight tastes of their regular and premium wines. We bought the $8 tasting, because it seems very obscene to pay $16 to taste wine unless you are at a world class winery, which Falkner is not.

They had four reds and some sweet nonsense. We tasted the four reds, and they were unremarkable. Patty wasn't as disappointed as I was, but we weren't impressed. Then I asked if they could pour me something red other than the sweet wine, and was told "that's all we have" which is a blatant lie. They had lots of other reds, but they want to charge more to taste those and were unwilling to accommodate even one taste. News flash: If you want me to buy wine, you should probably let me taste it first.

People who pour more wine, sell more wine. We left Falkner and won't look back. $8 to taste four mediocre reds definitely is one of the worst deals anywhere.

Pass on this one.

Joel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home