Tasting the wines of California

Anyone can take grapes and ferment them into something resembling wine, but it takes a true artisan to make some that is truly great. The only way to really experience what California wine is all about is to experience the wineries themselves.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Alex's Red Barn - Temcula


Next to Longshadow Ranch is a winery that has been around for a long time in Temecula: Alex’s Red Barn. We have always wanted to try this place, and yesterday marked the time we finally got there.

What a disappointment. First off was the property itself. The label gives the impression of a nice old barn in a field of vines. The reality, shown above, is far more stark. Alex’s Red Steel Building would be a better name...

But the look of the facility has nothing to do with how the wines taste right? Well, apparently the attention to detail that is missing in their property carries over to their wines. They only had one red available to taste, a very average Cabernet at a very non-average price. The Sauvignon Blanc was pitiful (this is the only white I truly like), and left me feeling that I had just tasted a bad Chardonnay.

Ok, the service makes up for it all right? Wrong. Condescending, Arrogant, and Snooty with a capital S. Beyond the “now swish the wine around to bring out the flavors” instructions, there was just an attitude about this place. When she asked what I thought of the Sauvignon Blanc (apparently they are quite proud of this wine) and I gave her my opinion, I was greeted with a snappy “that’s because you didn’t swish it around like I told you!”

Their Cream Sherry wasn’t bad, but I don’t drink Sherry. Paying $7 to drink one marginal cab, one bad sauvignon blanc, and a glass of Sherry has to rank as the single worst value for my money yet in tasting in Temecula.

Pass on this one.

Joel

http://www.redbarnwine.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home